Sep 09

Crikey! What a busy time that was!

I know, I should have expected it, but July and August, and even the first week of September, have been really, truly busy. All of my clients have had so much work, from student lets to the largest of houses, it feels as though all of them have been vacated, spruced up and re-let in just 10 weeks!

So maybe this is something tenants and landlords might need to know: your local, friendly clerk may be fully booked in July / August, so remember to book early.

I have had a few queries from new landlords who were uncertain as to whether they needed my services or not. Happily the DPS have a great poster about inventories:

DPS Inventory Tips

DPS Inventory Tips






Apr 30

One of those things!

Just a quick post.

What is this? Can you tell? And if you can, can you tell me why??

Hint: In a ceiling… but I had no idea why. Fortunately  the landlord did :)

What is it

Apr 21

Property Scam Awareness Week




April 24th to 28th

Anthony Gold Solicitors and website Property Tribes are running a property fraud awareness week. The aim is to promote public awareness of how to avoid being a victim of property-related fraud.

They will highlight scams including the  ‘sellers’ who do not own the property; agents taking deposits for non-existent tenancies; rent-to-rent and sub-letting scams; and massive returns being promised for investments in property that will never materialise.

To see videos, articles and case histories go to the Property Tribes website

The schedule is as below:

Monday: Psychology of scams, with David Wedgwood

Tuesday: Property investment and mentoring scams, with Clifford Tibber

Wednesday: Rent to Rent scams, with David Smith

Thursday: Identity theft scams, with Beth Holden

Friday: Lettings agent scams, with David Smith.




Apr 03

MyDeposits warns about deposit scheme scam!

WarningMydeposits says it is aware of a new scam being used by a fraudulent company imitating mydeposits and targeting landlords and letting agent members of the mydeposits Custodial scheme in England & Wales. Read more about it here:



Mar 09

Checking Out: From The Top

STEF-COOKE-LOGOWhat Happens During a Check Out?

Leaving a rented property can be an exciting time, moving on to new possibilities. It can also be sad, leaving behind the scene of all those good times. But it is always an anxious time, for landlord and tenant alike.  Will the property be as it was at the beginning of the tenancy? What was it really like at the beginning of the tenancy? Well, that’s why it’s a good idea to get an independent inventory clerk in to do a check in and check out.

We develop an eye for detail, a nose for issues, a list of things tenants and landlords always seem to want to discuss.

So, from the top: What will I be looking for at Check Out?

From The Top: Ceilings

What is on a ceiling? No, not spiders (or I will have to leave)! Light fittings with or withoutLights lightbulbs. I turn on every single light in a property and make note of whether or not it works or not. I also note every missing lightbulb. Even if your light fitting looks like this. There were three of these and one single, solitary light bulb was not working. I am proud to say that yes, I did notice!

When you leave there should be the same number of working light bulbs as there were at check in. If not I will leave a note “Tenant to replace at cost”.

If you think counting light bulbs is a funny thing to do for a living, I also count every light switch and plug socket!

Smoke/Heat/CO Alarms:

  • Every inhabitable floor should have a working smoke alarm.
  • Every room with a solid fuel burning device should have a CO alarm.
  • A heat alarm is not the same as a smoke alarm and can only be used in addition to a smoke alarm, not in place of one.

Following a recent calamity, involving water sprinklers, The AIIC have advised all Clerks not to push the test buttons on mains wired alarms. So, if your alarms are mains wired I will make note of there being an alarm in place and whether there is a power light visible. However, if your alarms are battery operated I will push the Test button and record if they sound or not.

When you move in the alarms should all be in place and work. That is your landlord’s responsibility. If a battery operated alarm needs new batteries during your tenancy, it is your responsibility to replace the, keeping all fitted alarms in good working order. That includes not removing or covering them!


Next in this series: Walls. What’s on Yours?

Mar 06

Preparing Your Property To Be Let


 So, you want to rent out a property for the first time. I won’t pretend to be able to lead you through all of the legalities of Right to Rent etc, but I have seen a lot of properties and have a good idea of what issues can occur. From cleaning to insurances, gardens to trickle vents, I have tried to cover much of it here.


Is it clean? Is it really clean?

I can’t recommend that you look for a good, professional cleaner enough. Interview a couple, see what they have to say about end of let cleans, choose one you think best matches your own ideas of the perfect clean. For your own peace of mind this is one expense that is, in my opinion, well worth factoring in to every new lTDS statset!

I would definitely recommend that you have a professional clean including carpets before letting your property for the first time. This will help you to ensure that tenants see the need for a professional clean on exit. Since its inception the TDS have dealt with more cleaning/damage issues than any other!


Furnished or unfurnished?

If you provide kitchen appliances and furniture these form part of the tenancy and, as the landlord, it is your responsibility to repair or replace them.

Before letting make sure furniture, equipment, fixtures and fittings are in good working order. Collect together all possible instruction leaflets / user manual, many can be downloaded from the internet. Put all user manuals for all equipment, including central heating system, ovens, washing machines, into a folder and mark it “User Manuals, Do Not Remove”. I will repeat that in the inventory and check it is still there at check out!


If you are providing soft furnishings then anything which is upholstered or has a filling i.e. mattresses, pillows, padded headboaFire labelrds, cushions, sofas, armchairs etc., must carry permanent labels indicating that they meet official fire resistant standards. I will only add, please don’t cut them off or tuck them in so that I can’t find them! Make sure the fire labels are still in place, and that I can access them! I would recommend you provide mattress protectors, but not necessarily bed linen.  If you want your table tops to be protected then you could also provide table protectors.


If you choose carpets they will become use worn, Doorways and other natural walk ways will show signs of heavier wear. It is inevitable that there will eventually be some furniture indents. Wooden and laminate floors will also become marked with use, furniture will inevitably leave marks. You can ask that your tenants use castor cups and/or furniture pads, you may want to provide them. You can even make sure your tenancy agreement makes it clear they must be used. You can also give clear instructions about wearing of shoes indoors.

But, I hear you ask, won’t that put off some tenants? Yes, it will! Mainly the ones who won’t be quite so careful about your carpets and laminate flooring.


VentilationTrickle vent

If your windows have trickle vents, please leave instructions on how to use them. You could also leave a note on use of any extractor fans used. Simply leave written instructions in the User Manual folder, explaining how tenants can sue them to avoid condensation and damp issues.

Be assured that I also add notes on this to every Inventory.



Then there are the legal requirements for paperwork:

This clearly states that the Landlord MUST provide every tenancy with:

  • A copy of this guide “How to rent: the checklist for renting in England” either via a link or as a printed copy.
  • A gas safety certificate. The landlord must provide one each year, if there is a gas installation.
  • Deposit paperwork. If there is a deposit, the landlord must protect it in a government approved scheme and provide the official information from the scheme.
  • Energy Performance Certificate. This will affect energy bills and the landlord must provide one (except for Houses in Multiple Occupation).

It also clearly states that a landlord cannot evict a tenant until all of the above has been supplied.


For any and all electrical installations and equipment the following legislations apply:

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994

  • Any property over ten years old should have a fixed wiring test carried out by an electrician employed by one of the statutory Electrical Companies, or who is recognised by the NICEIC.
  • All portable appliances being left in the property i.e. washing machine, fridge, freezer, microwave, kettle, lawnmower etc. must have a Portable Appliance Test carried out on them.
  • Gas fittings and equipment should have a gas safety certificate.
  • The checks and necessary work must be carried out by CORGI registered or engineers employed by the statutory Gas Companies.


Smoke and CO Alarms

You MUST supply the correct smoke and CO alarms, according to The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015. That is a smoke alarm on every inhabitable floor and a CO alarm in every room that has a solid fuel burning device, such as a coal fire or wood burner. It is your responsibility to ensure they are all in place and working at the beginning of every tenancy.

I include them in every report I make: inventory, check in, interim and check out.



Beds, lawns etc, should be neat and tidy at the start of the rental. If the tenant is to maintain the garden this should be stated in the tenancy agreement and appropriate equipment provided. But, you do have to remember that the tenant may not have a green thumb and may not be able to provide the living tender care some plants need to survive.

I will add a more detailed information sheet on this later’.



You should make arrangements to insure both the building and any contents you intend to leave. As landlord you must ensure that you have informed your insurers of your intention to let the property. Insurance for both buildings and contents will provide the necessary cover for Property Owners Liability and essential Public Liability Cover.


Utilities & meters

In the User IMG_8885Manual folder you could also leave details of the location and accessing of all meters and their reference numbers.

I always look in that folder for this information, especially if I can’t find a water meter. I can’t tell you how often I have spent 10 minutes or so looking for a water meter that does not exist!


Maintenance / Repairs

Check that you are sure about your responsibility for maintenance and repairs. It may be a good idea to talk to a few repair men and home service engineers, to start building a good relationship with them, or to buy the necessary insurance covers, where appropriate. Landlords are normally responsible for repairs to the property. It is a legal condition of any tenancy that the landlord must keep the structure of the premises inside and out in good repair, to include decoration, gutters and drains. This also includes all installations supplying water, gas, electricity, oil, sanitation, hot water and space heating should be kept in working order.



And finally! Before you call me to make your first inventory please ensure that all works are completed and that the property is presented as it will be when the new tenant moves in. I have worked around a carpet fitter, edged past decorators and even agreed to inventory a bathroom an hour before the check in, the shower cubicle hadn’t arrived when I did the inventory. But it really isn’t best practice and could cost you more money if I have to do a revisit to include the last piece of work after completion.


Jul 07

We are now members of The PRS


STEF-COOKE-LOGOPRS_Logo_high-smallAs members of the AIIC we are now also members of the PRS, one of the three consumer redress schemes authorised by the Department for Communities and Local Government and National Trading Standards Institute, whose role it is to provide fair and reasonable resolutions to disputes between members of the public and property agents and professionals.

smallShould we receive a complaint, the AIIC Complaints Procedure should be followed in the first instance. However, should the complainant feel they have suffered a financial loss, they will be able to seek an independent adjudication and financial redress through the PRS.


Mar 29

Tenants: you can now use your rental history to improve your credit score


Rental management company Credit Ladder has launched a new initiative that will help people to get similar credit history improvements to those enjoyed by homeowners paying off mortgages.

You must ‘opt in’ to the is free scheme. Then your rental payment information will begin building your credit history from the point you sign up. The data will show on Experian credit reports later this year.

See the Credit Ladder site for more details link


Mar 21

Landlords: a good inventory could save you money

STEF-COOKE-LOGOThe latest TDS stats show that there has been a steep 25% rise in tenancy deposit disputes, with one-third of agents making claims. This is a worrying trend for agents and landlords alike. So, what gives you the best chance of winning or, better still, avoiding, a deposit dispute?

In order to reduce any bias or conflict of interest that may arise due to a dilapidations dispute many agents instruct a third party, an independent inventory clerk, to make an initial Inventory. Private landlords can do the same. You can also instruct a clerk to conduct Check In and a Check Out. For details please contact me:

Stef Cooke

Mobile: 07909 965840


Also, did you know that a new, free, online, deposit protection scheme opens on 1st April?

mydeposit logo


my deposits click here link





Mar 09

Why employ an Independent Inventory Clerk?

STEF-COOKE-LOGOFor landlord and tenant alike a comprehensive Inventory is an invaluable document. But why should you consider hiring an independent clerk rather than drawing up one yourself?

Carried out at the start of the tenancy an Inventory should detail the current state of the property at Check In, providing a clear guide as to how the property should be returned at the end of the tenancy. It should also define the terms used in the report that describe the condition or cleanliness of items in the property. It must be clear enough for anyone to understand on first reading.

Landlords: A thorough Check In/Out process is the easiest way for you and your tenant to avoid any possible deposit disputes. If you also have a mid term or Interim Inspection then both you and your tenants will be best placed to correct any issues prior to the end of a tenancy. For you an independentally drawn up Inventory will:

  • Provide an unbiased and fully detailed description of the fixtures and fittings of your property, including any furnishing, also fire labels, blind safety, smoke alarms and CO alarms (where appropriate)
  • Help ensure that your property is returned in a good condition at the end of a tenancy
  • Help avoid a deposit dispute by providing you and your tenant with advice as to what is Fair Wear and Tear
  • Give you access to an independent expert who is abreast of any changes in legislation and can provide advice on how to meet them

Tenants: You need to check the detail of the Inventory as soon as possible. If anything needs to be added or amended you should contact your landlord/letting agent as soon as possible, usually within 7 days. Be sure that you sign the inventory when you have agreed its contents. For you an independentally drawn up Inventory will:

  • Help maximise your chance of having your deposit returned in full as it provides an unbiased description of the current condition of a property
  • Provide you with a clear idea of what to consider when you leave a property
  • Make sure you don’t have a deposit deduction for something you could avoided
  • Give you access to an independent expert who can offer tips and advice on how to maintain a property and retain your deposit with minimal deductions

In the event of a deposit dispute an Independent Inventory Clerk can be asked to give evidence to an Adjudication Process.



Older posts «